The 16th Wole Soyinka Lecture:
- Theme: Ethical Deficit, Corruption and the Challenges of Nation Building in 21st Century Nigeria
- Lecturer: Ekpo Nta, Esq. Chairman, Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC
- Chair: Udom Unoyo (Executive Director, Mobil Producing Nigeria)
- NAS Capn: Ide Owodiong-Idemeko
- Date: Friday, 12 July 2013
- City: Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria
- Venue: Le Meridien Ibom Hotel and Golf Resort, Uyo
r. Ekpo Nta from Ndukpoise, Nsit Ubium Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State born on 12th October 1952 is a Lawyer, Political Scientist, Educationist and Administrator. He has had a rich Civil Service career spanning over thirty years in various State and Federal Public services. He retired from the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) as Director of Administration & Human Resources Development.
Primary Education: Commenced at Zaria, Kaduna State in 1958 and concluded at St. Anthony’s Primary School, Molete, Ibadan, Oyo State in 1964.
Secondary Education: Commenced in 1964 at Loyola College, Ibadan and completed (after the Civil war) at Hope Waddel Training Institute, Calabar in 1971.
University of Ibadan: Admitted in 1972/73 to study Chemistry, Physics and Botany under the Prelim Science Programme and later obtained: B.Sc.(Hons) degree in Political Science (1977) majoring in International Relations; and M.Sc. in Political Science (1980)majoring in Public Policy & Statistics.
Obtained from University of Calabar LL.B (Hons)1987 degree in Civil Law majoring in Public International Institutions. And from Nigerian Law School, Lagos obtained the B.L. and was called to the Nigerian Bar as a Solicitor & Advocate of the Supreme Court of Nigeria in 1988.
- 1977: Editor, Nigerian Television, Kano under the National Youth Service Corps scheme.
- 1978-1985: Assistant Secretary 11 in the Cross River State Water Board and rose rapidly, by merit, to become Head of Board Affairs/Secretary.
- 1986-1987: Senior Assistant Registrar at the University of Cross River (now University of Uyo).
- 1988: Head, Personnel, Manpower Development & Training, Akwa Ibom State Water Corporation, Uyo.
- 1989: Lawyer, Ministry of Justice, Uyo before being posted as Deputy Liason Officer/Lawyer to the State Liaison Office, Lagos, Office of the Military Governor, Akwa Ibom State.
- 1990-1993: Chief Administrative Officer/Head of Administration and Legal Adviser of the World Bank-sponsored Akwa Ibom Agricultural Development Project, Uyo.
- 1993-2001: Pioneer Director of General Administration, and part of Management staff, of the Oil Mineral Producing Areas Development Commission (OMPADEC) an agency of the Federal Government under the Presidency.
- 2002-2010: Director of Administration and Human Resource Development, Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) which took over the affairs of the defunct OMPADEC.
Mr. Nta has participated in many professional courses workshops and conferences within and outside Nigeria. He belongs to several professional bodies including the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), International Association of Prosecutors (IAP), Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE), etc.
In 2002 he established a model educational facility, Loyola Nursery/Primary School to provide high quality early child educational services. He is the immediate past Deputy National President, National Association of Proprietors of Private Schools in Nigeria (NAPPS).
He has a passion for Youth and Community Development Programmes and has provided mentoring and consultancy services to various associations and communities including national and international organisations.
Mr. President appointed him the Acting Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices & Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) on November 29, 2011 and subsequently endorsed by the Senate to become the substantive Chairman on September 28, 2012.
He is widely travelled and has a sound knowledge of Information and Communication Technology.